Friday, August 5, 2016

Rocking the dog days with the Talia from Laela Jeyne Patterns

  
The dog days of summer have started here in Oklahoma, and anything with no sleeves is at the top of my wardrobe list right now.  When Marisa from Laela Jeyne Patterns released the technicals for her new Talia and Tula dresses, I was right there.  Using light weight, drapey fabrics, these patterns are perfect for the heat we are feeling here right now!  I made the Talia during testing so I’ll give you a quick review of the Talia!

Alright, before I get too far into what is so awesome about this pattern, let's go over some details about the dress:

- Covers a large range of sizes: 00-26
- Two neckline options: rounded or v-neck
- 8 (yes, 8!) skirt/bottom options: tunic, shark bite tunic, mini, knee, sharkbite knee, midi, maxi, faux wrap maxi
- Can be used with a wide variety of lightweight fabrics.  I used charmeuse and chiffon for my Tala, but you could also use rayon challis, double gauze, lace…pretty much anything with a good drape to it
- Fitted bodice for a more streamlined silhouette
- Full breast adjustment instructions for those who need them
- Your usual concise, detailed directions and illustrations that come with every Laela Jeyne pattern


This dress looks so much more complicated to make than it really is.  I was surprised at how quickly it came together.  There is a zipper on the side but I promise, that is really not as scary as everyone thinks when they see a zipper. I am the queen of zipper avoidance tactics when it comes to clothing, but I took the leap on this dress and was so excited that it was so easy to do. Marisa walks through the zipper installation step by step and makes it very easy to understand.

So for my dress, I used a charmeuse for the outer bodice and the skirt lining.  The outer skirt is made with a butterfly printed chiffon that I found at my local JoAnn Fabrics.  Chiffon was a little tricky to work with but lots and lots of clips.  If you think you have too many clips, just clip some more.  Once I figured out that more is more with this fabric, I had no issues at all with it!
 
The wind snuck up on me just as my photographer snapped the photo
Now, I’m not usually a fitted bodice type of girl, but this one slipped on like a glove when I was done!  There are darts along the front and side to help get the perfect fitted look.  I love the way it makes me look, and the soft drapey skirt was so comfortable around my legs.  The day that we did our photo shoot, it was over 100 degrees out, and I was scared it would be clinging to me by the time we walked to the lake.  It held up so well, and I actually had to hold down the skirt when the wind picked up.  Oh, yes, we have crazy wind here in Oklahoma, too!

I chose the faux wrap maxi for the bottom, and being 5’1” on a good day, I was a little worried about the length.  However, it was the perfect length on my frame with no modifications.  I think I looked a little taller in it, to be honest.  I seriously love any pattern that requires little or no modification, and Marisa goes to great lengths to make sure that her patterns work with every body type.  Having a pretty low waist and short legs, I sure do appreciate that she does that!


Okay so if you've read this far and stuck with me, I appreciate you greatly!  The great news is that the Talia is available now and is on sale $7 (full price will be $9.95)!  You can snag your copy here at at Marisa’s Laela Jeyne Patterns webstore.  You can also get the Talia and Tula bundle here for $12 (full price will be $15).  Marisa also has a FB group where we can share our LJ creations and ask questions if we hit a head scratch when we're sewing!  You can find her group here. Everyone in the group is really supportive and helpful if you ever have any questions, and Marisa is very responsive to messages if you need to contact her directly!

If you're wondering if you need this pattern, my vote would be absolutely, you do!  It’s perfect for special occasions (Marisa made a little black dress with the Talia that turned out ahh-mazing!) or for casual every day wear.  Sometimes, it's just nice for us to have a go-to pattern that we can use for when we need to do some self care sewing!  Don't forget, it's available right now on sale so go grab it today!

Blessings and Happy Sewing,
Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment